Tuesday 29 November 2011

Who wants to live in the real world anyway!

I know I'm not the first and I'm sure I won't be the last but...I realised a few days ago that I spend more time in the Cyber world than I do in the real one. I'm either writing my blog, entering competitions online talking on Twitter or Facebook or getting lost in Grimney!

I find myself rushing to do things that need to be done on planet reality so that I can get back into my cyber world. My dog doesn't like it, she sits staring at me quite often as if willing me to 'come away from that box'.
She's happy enough today though because we've been playing in the park for two hours so she's tired enough not to notice that I'm on the box in the corner again!

My husband doesn't mind too much, he's in his own little cyber world much of the time! We do meet up in the real world for a coffee occasionally though......

The most surprising aspect of this is my growing addiction to Grimney. I - or at least my character - has been having lots of adventures there recently. The difference between Grimney and planet earth is that you can control what happens to your life!

I used to spend quite a lot of time uploading articles and poetry to various publications in the hope that they would not only publish my scribblings but pay me as well. I don't do that so much nowadays though because I find that simply writing for the pleasure of it is far more enjoyable. My words may not be the most profound that you've ever read but they are MY words and I don't have to have anyone's permission to get them published.

During that particular period when I was desperate to be a published writer, I  wrote a poem called 'Cyberspace Race' My daughter then turned it into a song for me which gave me a huge thrill! I can now add the rather impressive title of  'songwriter' to my growing list of credentials.

What?

Well, other people blag their way through life so why shouldn't I?

So until next time I leave you with my poem and my song!!


                                                 CYBERSPACE RACE

My words of wisdom keep disappearing
Into cyberspace
I don’t want to grumble
But I’m sort of losing face
All my words are disappearing
To a black hole sort of place
You see
I’ve joined the cyberspace race

The cyberspace race
The cyberspace race
My words are disappearing
Into cyberspace
Now that I’ve joined
The cyberspace race

One day I’m going to get a call
From an alien in another world
He’ll say Your words are clever
And I wondered if you’d ever
Had them published
No not yet
I just upload them on the net
But I’ve never heard a word, not yet

You see:
The cyberspace race
The cyberspace race
My words are disappearing
Into cyberspace
Since I joined the cyberspace race

Log in, Log out
Log in, Log out
All this white space
What is it all about?

The cyberspace race
The cyberspace race
Think I’ll cancel my subscription
To the cyberspace race
All my creative juice
Is floating round in cyberspace.

 http://soundcloud.com/barbarathomas#play (Copy and paste this link to bring up player)

No comments:

Post a Comment