Monday 21 November 2011

                                                             The Hex Factor

Every year I say the same thing  ' I'm not going to watch it this year' and then......before I know it I'm halfway through the series. What am I talking about? You've probably guessed already, Reality TV - which, I might add, doesn't appear to have much reality in it at all.

X Factor and I'm a Celebrity get me out of here (or should that be; I want to be a celebrity get me in there!) are the current shows I love to hate. Simon Cowell has a lot to answer for! I have done a creative writing course - ok so you might not guess it from reading my blog - but one thing that stands out in my mind from that course is that you should avoid cliches like the plague (sorry!). I was also told that I use too many exclamation marks!!! I personally like exclamation marks but I can see the reasoning behind the cliche thingy.

Do the same rules not apply to telly programmes? I'm referring particularly to cliches now. If I hear one more cliche during X Factor I swear........I won't watch it next year..........
Here are just five that drive me mad:

It's a life changing opportunity.
This week you've got to up your game
You're the one to beat
You nailed it
It's becoming predictable (huh, says you!)

Also really, really annoying are the obviously staged rows between the judges - designed to keep 'the public' interested.

I may be becoming cynical in my old age but I don't even believe the contestants are real! My theory is that the majority of the finalists are already signed by record companies and the programme is a cheap way to gain publicity for them. It's just my opinion and I'm not always right.

Another thing that annoys me is when 'the judges' tell amazing vocalists that they have 'potential' In other words those expert judges will teach the youngsters how to become great singers, all credit to the judges then! I wonder if there is anybody in the country who doesn't see right through it? Yes, probably the ones who have actually stopped watching! The rest of us just keep watching so that we can have a good grumble!

No poem this week. Instead I have a special treat. Below is a singer who has been treading the boards since the age of thirteen and has genuinely served her apprenticeship.She is my daughter and in this video she is performing one of the many songs she has written. I hope you enjoy it but not to worry if you don't, we don't all like the same things!

Until next week:

   http://www.youtube.com/user/Jenny67167?blend=1&ob=5


No comments:

Post a Comment