Sunday 18 December 2011

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A GRIMNEY NEW YEAR

I thought I would just take this opportunity to wish my readers a Very Merry Christmas. It's a busy time of year and not much time for writing - unless you're ultra disciplined (which I'm not!) I think this will probably be my last post for 2011 as I'm sure you'll all have better things to do over the coming weeks than to read my blog!

If something particularly exciting pops into my head in the meantime I'll put a link on Twitter.

My regular readers - all three of you - will know by now that I have slipped into a fantasy world during the past few months. Now, there are some who know me that would say I've always lived in a fantasy world, but never mind about that.......

Of course, I am referring to The Land of Grimney. I do spend a lot of my spare time there these days and I love it! I have three characters in this strange land now and they seem to be taking on lives of their own which is fascinating to me, not being a fiction-type person. I suppose as much as anything it's the challenge I'm enjoying. I haven't played with imaginary people since I was about eight years old, I'd forgotten how much fun it could be.

I have also been promoted to 'site administrator' this week which I'm buzzing about even though I don't quite know what it means! It's a lovely feeling to be valued and given a promotion - even though it is in a fantasy land. Well let's face it it's the only place where I'm likely to be given a promotion! So I thought I'd just like to take the opportunity to let you know that I am important now. I promise I won't let the power go to my head though so don't worry all you peasants. Grimney are also running a Christmas poetry competition but if you want to enter, you'd better get your ice skates on because the closing date is the 25th December.

If you still haven't visited Grimney I suggest you give it a try if only to read some of the amazing poems and stories that members have posted in there. The address is: www.thelandofgrimney.co.uk

I thought I'd leave you with a couple of festive poems. The first is one of the entries I put into the Grimney poetry contest followed by one my twelve-year-old granddaughter wrote this afternoon. I'm so pleased that she likes poetry at such a tender age.

Have a lovely holiday and I'll see you in 2012 x



Present by Barbara Thomas

The present looked exciting
Yes ever so inviting
It sat beneath the tree
With love it said, to me!

Wrapped in crinkly bows
And Santas in the snow
I picked it up, I pressed and squeezed
Then back it went beneath the tree

For weeks and weeks I tried to guess
The contents of that treasure chest
I willed my dog to make a tare
So I could take a peep in there

But she just sighed and licked her feet
‘Cos it didn’t smell of bones or treats
So finally surrender came
I had to play the waiting game

On Christmas day the gift was placed
Into my lap, did my heart race!
I pulled the bows and sellotape
And tore the Santas out of shape

When I finally got to see
What had plagued my curiosity
I forced a smile and tried to hide
The disappointment felt inside

The hints I dropped were very clear
But must have fallen on deaf ears
No Kindle did I find in there
Instead a dryer for my hair


A poem of Christmas by Tyrion Cox


Putting up the decorations,
The sound of cheer and celebrations,
Outside the snow twinkles and glistens,
The choir sing, and everyone listens.
Chestnuts roast on a flaming fire,
The Christmas spirit is lifted higher.
The star upon the festive tree,
Sways, and shimmers gracefully.
Presents look so beckoning.
We sit and wait its so exciting…

Then it comes, the magnificent day!
Both children and adults all shout ‘hooray!
The presents are opened,
Faces are brightened.
Everyone’s happy, cheerful, and glad,
Christmas time, here at last!













No comments:

Post a Comment